Thursday, January 13, 2011

No Faux

When I first went veggie years ago, more years than I care to mention, there were very very few (if any) 'meat' substitutes out there, and I really didn't know what the h* to do with tofu or beans. I thought TVP was revolutionary. Back then I would have killed for some of the products that we have today!

I've come a long way baby - things are very much in reverse. 'Faux' products are very rarely in my shopping basket...with some exceptions....like soy ice cream (duh) and I like the Yves' and Tofurky's deli slices, some of the Gardein products and if I happen to get across the border, Trader Joe's soy chorizo crumbles are always declared back at Canadian customs.

New vegan products in the fridge or freezer cases stand out like beacons, I just have to try them...at least once. That was the case the other day with Gardein's 'beefless tips'. Given that I've liked the 2 or 3 of their other products, I had pretty high hopes for these.

Sorry to say, they were a HUGE disappointment! None of us cared for them, tasted just like Yves burger-burgers to me. I really wish I would have stuck to good old tofu in our stir-fry tonight.

I'm wondering if it's just faux products in general that I'm liking less and less, or if it's just the 'beef' variety that really puts me off. We like Gardein's 'Crispy Tenders' now and again.

I stir fried the beefless tips, following a recipe on the gardein site, here.

Having said all of this, if you're someone who likes these ready-mades, you might like this latest one. And if you happen to like the flavour of Yves original burger-burger, then you probably will. Don't know till you try!

No comments:

Post a Comment